SPORT NEWS

​Kanu, Okocha to play alongside Messi,

Neymar

ON July 11, 2016 1:03 AM / IN

Sports / Comments

TWO of Nigeria’s finest footballers of all-

time, Nwankwo Kanu and Austin ‘Jay Jay’

Okocha will team up with the likes of

Lionel Messi, Neymar, and Diego

Maradona as they set to feature at the

10th Anniversary celebration of the

Fundación Privada Samuel Eto’o on July

16.

The 35-year-old who currently plays for

Turkish side Antalyaspor will host 23

great footballers both retired and those

still playing in a charity game to raise

funds for his Foundation.

The Cameroonian was in Nigeria in May

to honour former Nigerian international

Joseph Yobo who celebrated his 101 caps

for the Super Eagles with a game at the

Yakubu Gowon Stadium in Port Harcourt.

The Charity match in Turkey will see

Messi who is currently appealing a 21-

months jail term play alongside Argentine

football icon Diego Maradona and former

teammate Xavi Hernandez while Fabio

Capello is expected to be the manager on

the day.

Peter of PSquare is scheduled to also

perform at the event as he and the

former Chelsea star are very good friends

while Mr P is a self-confessed Blues fan.

One of the greatest quotes of Samuel

Eto’o is when he talked about how he was

treated by defenders in the beautiful

game of football.

He said: “Getting knocked about just

motivates me more. When someone kicks

me, you wouldn’t believe how much it

makes me want to score a goal, just to get

back at them.”

Advertisements

CHRISTANO VOWS TO COME BACK STRONG AFTER INJURY

​Cristiano Ronaldo vows to come back

stronger after injury

ON July 19, 2016 7:17 AM / IN

Sports / Comments

Cristiano Ronaldo said Monday that he

intends to come back stronger for the

upcoming season despite the injury he

sustained while playing for Portugal in

their victorious Euro 2016 final.

The Real Madrid striker, who played a

key part in leading his country to a

maiden major title, limped off in tears

with a knee injury in the first half of the

final against hosts France earlier this

month.

The 31-year-old has a sprained ligament

in his left knee, and Spanish sports daily

Marca reported that he is unlikely to

return to action before Real’s third game

of the domestic La Liga season.

“Hi everyone! I just wanted to thank all

my fans,” Ronaldo said in a video on his

Instagram account.

“I wanted to tell them that all is well and

that I will come back much stronger.

Thank you, long live Portugal!”

After suffering the initial injury, the

three-time Ballon D’Or winner tried to

play on but had to be replaced in the 25th

minute, before striker Eder grabbed the

only goal of the game in extra time.

ASUU TO FG

​ASUU to FG: You’re responsible for

education backwardness in Nigeria

ON July 19, 2016 6:22 AM / IN News /

Comments

By Johnbosco Agbarakwu

ABUJA —THE Academic Staff Union of

Universities, ASUU, yesterday accused the

Federal Government of being responsible

for the backwardness of education in the

country which had affected its global

rating.

ASUU lamented that instead of the

budgetary allocation to improve, it was

only reducing and called on the

government to commence the process for

the payment of N623 billion, being

backlog of earned academic allowances

and funding of universities.

National President of ASUU, Comrade

Biodun Ogunyemi, while briefing

journalists in Abuja, also kicked against

the proposed plan by the federal

government to scrap the post-University

Matriculation Tertiary Examination,

saying the Joint Admission and

Matriculations Board, JAMB, could not

admit students for universities.

He frowned on the alleged continuous

breach of various Memorandum of

Understanding, MoU, signed between the

government and ASUU between 2009 and

2015, adding that the Federal Government

was in arrears of N495 billion as at the

first quarter of 2016, in respect of the

NEEDS assessment fund for the

revitalisation of public universities.

He further accused the Federal

Government of failing to disburse the

outstanding balance of

N65,833,047,372.24 (2009-2013), in

addition to N62,417,645,224.23

(2014-2016) amounting to

N128,250,692,596.47 as contained in the

report of the 2009 FGN-ASUU agreement

implementation Committee, IMC.

Ogunyemi warned against undue and

further delay in the implementation of

various agreements signed between both

parties.

ASUU strongly condemned the decision by

the federal government to scrap the

conduct of POST-UME, saying the decision

did not serve the interest of Nigerians

and that the university tertiary

matriculation examination, UTME,

conducted by JAMB is not credible enough

to warrant the cancellation of the post

UTME tests.

Ogunyemi said the action by government

was typical of its current lukewarm

attitude towards the spirit and letters of

the FGN/ASUU agreement of 2009, vowing

that the union as an important

stakeholder in the university system will

continue to draw the attention of all

concerned to possible threat to peaceful

development and growth of the Nigerian

Education System.

He said: ”We consider it appalling that no

consultation with stakeholders especially

with ASUU and the Vice Chancellors was

held before such far reaching national

policy like the cancellation of Post Ume

was pronounced.

“In a fundamental way, the policy

undermines the autonomy of universities

and powers of universities’ senate as the

highest policy making body on academic

matters, particularly admission of

students and award of university

degrees.”

The ASUU boss further questioned the

veracity of the claim by the Education

Minister Malam Adamu Adamu that ‘’the

nation has confidence in what JAMB is

doing” and that as a result of this, tertiary

institutions do not need to conduct

further tests towards admitting students

UTME candidates, saying even a former

Minister of education, Mrs Chinwe Obaji,

in 2005 questioned the credibility of most

JAMB high fliers, who even though they

scored as high as 280 performed

abysmally low in the post ume exercise.